Just Passing By...

Well, I'm just passing by...

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Father and Son Meeting

"So, Dad, how have you been?"
"Oh, I've been great! Been doing lots of things, got lots of work at the office."
"That's nice to hear."
"You should have told me you wanted to go to Taiwan. I would have brought you along."
"Well, I found out about it a bit late, so it's kinda hard to arrange the visa and stuff."
"I see. So, where do you want to eat?"
"I don't know Dad, where do you want to eat?"
"Anywhere, just choose a place."
"Oh well, all I know is Cavana. The food's okay. You wanna go there?"
"Sure, why not."

"So, how was the trip?"
"Well, I didn't really wanna go, but if I didn't go, things might get awry."
"Why not?"
"I got stuff to do. Business been quite busy lately. Son, you should have told me you wanna come along."
"Well, like I told you, I knew about it a bit late, so there wasn't enough time to take care of the paperworks. But it's okay, I heard all the family members will be going there again 2 years from now, to celebrate grandad's sister's 90th birthday, right?"
"Yeah, all the family members will be going there 2 years from now."
"Then I'll be going 2 years from now."
"That's good. You know about your grandfather, right?"
"Well, sort of. I only heard bits. All I know is that he's a sort of national hero."
"Yeah. Your grandfather is a smart and brave man. He's made proposals for Taiwan's independence. Your uncle Lam, his name came from the Taiwanese 'Tong Nam', meaning South East, it was the theme of one of his proposals, the one he sent to countries in South East Asia."
"I see. Yes, I want to find out about him. He sounds interesting."
"I went there 'cause I like traveling too."
"Same here. I wanted to go there because I want to know about grandad, and I also want to travel once in a while."
"Ever been there before?"
"Once, but it was a long time ago. I didn't know you or anything about the family back then."

"Here's a bit something for you."
"Dad, you shouldn't. I've enough."
"No, that's okay. Keep it safe, okay. There's 2000 dollars in that envelope."
"Dad, 2000 dollars..."
"I still have more coming for you. At least till you'll be able to buy your own car."
"...wow."
"I also have some deposits for Wanda."
"How is Wanda?"
"She's okay. She's been doing well in college."
"She's in Jogja, right?"
"Yes, I think it's her second year now."
"You still keep in touch with her?"
"Yes, of course."
"How about Tante Nona? You still keep in touch with her?"
"...nah, no. Well, at least your sister understand better now. Separation is to be blamed on both persons. But, it should not involve the child."
"Yeah, I guess so."

"I heard Yati's sick."
"Yes. She got cancer. I think all we can do is wait until the time comes."
"Poor her! She's very nice to me, you know. She told me stories whenever I called to your house, everything that's been happening. She's nice."
"Yes, I know."
"Rie, here's something for her. Please give it to her. Tell her it's from me."
"Will do, Dad."

"How's your mother?"
"Mom's fine. As she always is."
"She still practicing at home?"
"As always, Dad. As always."
"And how's your father?"
"He's fine. Still teaching, as he always does. Still waiting for his professor title."
"He's very diligent, isn't he."
"Yes, he is."
"How is your brother?"
"He's in his last year of college, doing his final assignment. He's been very busy, being head of the student congress in Trisakti."
"He's into organization?"
"Very much, he's got a lot of interest in it. Father's got his hands in it also. He's been talking with him about organizational matters. I think that's why Dede's interested in it."
"Good for him, then."
"I hope so."

"Contact me whenever you have the time, okay."
"Of course, Dad. You too."
"And call your grandma from time to time, okay?"
"Will do, Dad. Will do."

"Dad, 2000 dollars is a lot of money. You sure you could afford this?"
"Hey, don't worry okay. I still have more in store for you later."
"Okay...
Alright, Dad, you take care okay."
"Okay. Oh yeah, if you wanna go to Taiwan, let me know okay?"
"I will."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home