Just Passing By...

Well, I'm just passing by...

Friday, May 20, 2005

Star Wars, Sobered Up

Movie Review (2nd attempt)
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Directed by George Lucas
Starring Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Hayden Christensen, Ian McDiarmid

Okay, this time I'll do this review seriously.

GO AND WATCH THIS MOVIE!!

Sorry, can't help myself.

Making a review for this movie is like telling a journey. And to tell the journey, one must look from the beginning. Which is what I'm about to do.

I still remember back in my early days when I was only 9 or 10. Whenever I saw a Star Wars movie I was confused, trying hard to understand the story. But all I know is that the special effects were great for their time. Later I would watch and re-watch the movies again (episode IV, V, and VI), trying to appreciate the special effect, the storyline, the characters, the acting. I've watched the re-released episode IV, V, and VI (with the updated special effects in several scenes). And having a close circle of friends who adore Star Wars, I couldn't help but to become quite a fan myself. Not a fanatic, but I know enough to appreciate why some people become fanatics. I read novels and played games which background rest in the Star Wars universe. Star Wars has become one of the things me and my close circle of friends talk about. It's become part of our culture, our values, our language. And yes, of course we make jokes of Darth Vader breathing noise.

Back then, in the original trilogy, the acting was quite good, but what really stand out were the special effects.Nowadays, special effects are something common in movies. With the advent of high-quality CGI, even an actor's performance and appearance on screen can be manipulated with highly-detailed computer imageries, making these artificial addition lifelike and believable. CGI's in, it's trendy, and almost wannabe blockbuster movie makers want it in their movies. It's as if people in the film industry is beginning to forget that the story and acting are what matters most.

I was excited when I heard that Episode I was coming out. It was quite an event, knowing that Lucas was trying to bring back the magic that is Star Wars, trying to bring the original trilogy to a completion by telling the story of how it all began. I was full of anticipation, and after watching Phantom Menace, all I could say is that it was okay. The CGI was of today's standard, which was quite good, but I felt that the story was geared toward a younger audience. And the acting was, well, almost non-existent. But it was good to see the little kid, the one who's eventually become one of the most unforgettable character, a character that in my opinion symbolizes man's never ending struggle with 'good and evil', man's fall from grace. As Yoda said himself, 'Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering.' And so, the tale began.

Episode I was quite a disappointment to many people. Some even didn't want to admit that it ever happened, that somehow it was only a nightmare, that the first trilogy still exists but somehow Lucas' take on Episode I was only a mist soon to be blown by the wind. I myself was stuck in a love-hate relationship with the first episode. But I know that the story has got to be told, how the seed of 'good and evil' was planted into a child full of potential. It was a beginning, a bad-acted, poorly-directed one, but it was a beginning.

Episode II was better. Not by much, but it was better. Better in CGI and a little better in the story department. However, the acting was still quite non-existent. The romance between Anakin and Padme was badly acted, and that Jar-Jar character was still around (though he didn't say much). However, Ian McDiarmid, playing as Chancellor Palpatine, provided some quality acting. Well, the story must go on, and at least we got to see Yoda kick some ass.

Now comes Episode III. It turns out that in my current office, there are lots of Star Wars fans, and we couldn't help but get ourselves some tickets for the day the movie was released worldwide on May 19th. Many people here were excited during the wait before the cinema door was opened. Some of them even wore Jedi robe and carry glowing lightsabers in their hands. Me and a friend couldn't help but became very jealous of one guy wearing a Jedi robe carrying the best looking lightsaber in the crowd. We even plotted to take him out and grab his lightsaber after the movie. Take that, Jedi!

I've become excited again...breath in, breath out...

Episode III is way better than the previous two. In everything: CGI, story, and acting. CGI still manage to take the breath out of the audience, especially during the first space battle scene. I will not deliberate in the CGI department, since knowing that Lucas is behind all this, its quality is unquestionable. But what will really stands out is the process of how Anakin Skywalker turns to the Dark Side of the Force. This movie is all about the how and why a man falls from grace. And it is told in grace. And finally, some real and believable acting. Ian McDiarmid once again delivers a graceful acting, playing the two-faced Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, relentless in his effort to lure the young Anakin to the Dark Side and conquering th whole galaxy. Ewan McGregor also put out quite a performance. His character has matured significantly from the young Obi-Wan in Episode I. Even Hayden Christensen managed to put out a decent acting himself, after having been criticized for his poor acting during Episode II. And the romance between him and Padme, played by Natalie Portman, is more believable and better-acted than Episode II. And all this, the CGI, the acting, have managed to bring the story to life.

But once again, Episode III is all about how and why a man turns to the dark side. And this Episode is the culmination, the conclusion of the journey from Episode I and II. No matter how bad they are, Episode III is meaningless without Episode I and II. Just consider Episode I and II sacrificial lambs to make this third episode a winner.

The movie ends with a question of hope. A question that most of us know the answer to. But it is still enough to make me want to take a look at the answer again. George Lucas has bring back the magic of the galaxy opera. No matter what, Star Wars has become a legend and people will still talk about it for years to come.

And I will still make more jokes about Darth Vader's breathing noise.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger Mona said…

    hehehe first time here, ternyata loe punya blog jugaaaa

    Yeah, it's true that I heard that Star Wars 1 was not really succesful ... people think it's too simple and not interesting enough for such kind of movie but I love it :) I love the young Anakin, his acting is brilliant.

    When I watched Star Wars 2 for the first time, I don't really like Hayden (Anakin), his acting is just ok ... I was amazed by Ewan (Obiwan). Star Wars 2 is just ok. The best part is when Yoda did the battle, it's really cool :) I remember that all people in the cinema actually gave applause :D

    Star Wars 3, I am speechless too :) It's really good although I think the transition of Anakin from a Jedi to become the Darth Vader is kinda fast. But Hayden is really good in episode 3. His acting is improving a lot and I love it :) Although I still think that there is no chemistry between Anakin and Padme. They are not looked like as a couple.

    Too bad ... Star Wars has completed :( Such a good series, one of the best movie all the time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home