Just Passing By...

Well, I'm just passing by...

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Yikes! Blackout! (September 15, 2004)

I remembered clearly that I woke up at 9.30 this morning. Does it matter? Nope. Just wanna mention it.

I fired up the PC, started typing away at my diary software, trying to finish my journal about the latest trip to Puncak. After finish typing, I connected to the internet, went to blogger and posted my latest journals. While I was browsing away, looking at all the purdy girls in friendster's galleries, suddenly everything turned black. Shit, a blackout.

It was 12 o'clock. Midday. The day wasn't that hot, so I went outside to the front porch of my house bringing along a couple of textbooks and an autobiography by Frank McCourt titled 'Tis. I needed to refresh my knowledge concerning options, as in call options and put options. Ya know, those financial mumbo jumbo. After I was sure that my knowledge was refreshed, I started reading the autobiography. I could see that the writer still retained his writing style from his previous book, Angela's Ashes. As entertaining as always. But not as heart-rending as the previous book. When I was reading the first book, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Living in Limerick, Ireland, during the 1940's was so miserable and desperate that it almost felt like a joke. God's occasionally cruel jokes. The Big Man up there really have a queer sense of humor. Hey, miseries could bring out the best in man. Man could not appreciate happiness if he doesn't know miseries. Nothing to forgive if there were no sins. Well, reading those memoirs made me appreciate the fact that I'm not an Irish Catholic like Frank McCourt is. I'm a Chinese Catholic, and that at times is hard enough. But hey, it's okay. Nothing to be ashamed of, nothing to be proud of. It's just me.

I spent most of the afternoon sitting outside at the front porch, looking at cars, motorcycles, and people passing by in front of my house. Mom came home at around 2 o'clock. During the afternoon, she came out a couple of time to have a chat with me at the front porch. An interesting info: she said that Delon had agreed to go to Sydney, Australia, to sing in a fund-raising concert to build a church for the Catholic Indonesian community there. My Australian auntie is part of the fund-raising committee. She and my uncle were the one who came up with the idea to invite Delon there. Mom said she heard that Delon didn't mind the fact that he may not get paid for it, since all the tickets and accommodations are being paid for. He was really happy only because of the fact that he gets to take his mother along to Sydney, Australia. Now, that's what I call a really dedicated son. If what my mom said is true, then he's really a simple-minded and nice guy. I like it. I hope it stays that way. Heard that Delon mostly stays in his apartment these days. His house happens to be near mine. I guess if he stayed there, people would keep coming over and he would have no breathing space.

So, there I was at the front porch all day, just looking at the traffic outside, occasionally reading Frank's book, listening to my Mom occasional gossips, and just looking at the trees around my house. At that moment I just realized that this place, the front porch, might be a very good option for a private get-away place in my house. It was quite peaceful. People in my house rarely come out here. They mostly stay in the room. Yeah, too bad the front porch doesn't have any air conditioning. Would be nice. But hey, there's the wind, if it ever blows that is.

My friend, H, messaged me. We talked about compiling R&B music CD, An's period and her tendency to piss off people around her during the period, about blackout always picking the wrong time for itself to happen, about downloading Kazaa so that I could get the latest in R&B, and...hmmm, those were pretty much it.

The blackout ended around 4. I went straight to my room. Air conditioning, yay! Ha ha ha, couldn't help myself. I really love air conditioning. I love the cold. It's comforting somehow. And the PC's there too, of course. I fired it up again, and went straight to the world wide web.

Replied a couple emails, typed a couple of more paragraphs into chapter 4 of my thesis. After I was done, I felt drowsy and had a 1-hour sleep. Woke up and found that my brother had just got home. Later this night I watched Shrek 2 with my brother and my mother. It was a very entertaining movie, and the DVD has a couple of interesting extras (What do you say to Far, Far Away Idol?). Which reminds me that I want to watch Lilo and Stitch, again.

That's pretty much today's happenin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home