Just Passing By...

Well, I'm just passing by...

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Monday, Again


What can I say? Monday's like that. She never gave up on me. Monday, she always gives me a bad day. Ha ha ha, I'm talking nonsense here...probably because I'm really tired right now. Last night I got a mild fever. Probably because I've done lotsa stuff last week. Goin' out with friends, slept late at night, spending many hours on Sunday with my girlfriend. I enjoyed all those things. But I guess my body did not and it sorta broke down last Sunday.

But duty called. Got a presentation to prepare, got an assignment to finish. So I got to campus at 12 in the afternoon. Apparently my body was still tired. Couldn't stare at the computer too long, my eyes went blurry. So I just did a bit part on the presentation and let my other friends did the rest. Most of the afternoon I spent snoozing in one of the study room. I didn't care that I slept sitting on a chair, resting my head on the wall. All I know was that my body felt as if a dracula had drained all the blood in it. The siesta helped a bit. But I still felt tired up until now.

A friend of mine had been having a problem. I noticed this when I was eating my dinner. She was talking over the phone when I noticed a hint of tears on her eyes. When she finished the conversation on the phone she started talking to two of my friends. I overheard something about someone in a critical condition in the conversation. She went to get some food, then when she returned to the table she was on the verge of tears. I put my arms round her shoulder, gave a bit of a hug, and then she burst into tears. All I could do was to put her head on my shoulder, gave a hug and let her cry it out. After she had calmed down a bit I asked her what's wrong.
Her cousin was having a rare disease (I forgot the name of the disease). She's 18 years old, had two younger siblings. She said that her cousin was beautiful, smart, and young. My friend along with her mother was taking care of her, that was why she'd been skipping some of the lectures, or sometimes came late to class. The disease had left her cousin unable to speak, to breathe (the lungs had stopped working, she was breathing with the help of a ventilator). And even if the cousin survived she would be crippled. And the chance of surviving seemed small.

When I compared my condition to my friend's cousin, I think I should really be thankful. Guess you're okay as long as you're still alive and well. I got no serious disease, no death sentence in the near future. I'm not rich or anything, but I got a good (though not perfect) family. I'm getting my Master's degree. I got friends. And I'm not dying (at least not right now). I should be thankful. Guess when you're about to die, all those class assignments, presentations, Master's degree, those things won't matter no more.

18 years old, smart, pretty, and dying... it's so sad...

I told my friend if there's anything at all I could do to help her cousin I would gladly do it. Well, a friend of mine who also knew about her problem told me that her cousin's parents might be thinking of selling a house. And I have a friend who's a property agent. So I told her if the parents decided on selling the house I could introduce them to my friend. Hey, anything that I could do to help...
Guess there were people who were worse off than me. I should be thankful.
Tomorrow's class will be the last class for this trimester. Yay....

Be happy that you're ALIVE!!!