Just Passing By...

Well, I'm just passing by...

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Hair Cuts (Friday, September 17 2004)

Starting this day, 9.30 is officially my wake up time. This morning I checked my e-mails. Later I finished Frank McCourt's ''Tis'.

In the afternoon, while I was finishing 'Tis, Pi called me up telling me to meet her and her hairdresser, Gi, at Taman Anggrek later in the evening. Said she'll be there around 6. I was just glad that at least I'd be going out on Friday night.

M also called in the afternoon. He asked what I'd be doing on Saturday afternoon. I told him I'd be doing nothing. He asked me to come along for a karaoke together with some other friends from UI. Most of 'em are Chinese and had once stayed in the same boarding house in Kukusan back when they were still studying in university. The boarding house? Bunaya. M once stayed there too. I said yes to the invitation. I also asked M about a file-sharing program. There was a misunderstanding about how I should install the program. With it settled, looks like my music-downloading days would soon come back to me again.

After finishing the book, I left for TA at around 5 by taxi. I got there at around 6.15 in the evening. Pi wasn't there yet, so I walked around the mall. It was not as crowded as it usually was on Friday nights. Probably because of the bomb threat. And these days, there are a lot of cooler places to be. I called Pi several times, asking where she was. She said that she got caught up in traffic and that I should go to Coffee Bean to meet Gi since he was there already. Well, I didn't know Gi that well so I didn't go there and meet him. Instead I walked around some more till Pi arrived. There was this wedding dress show with models walking on a catwalk wearing beautiful wedding dresses. And the wedding dresses were not the only things I was paying attention too. The models were, as models always are, very beautiful. Looking at them walking around on the catwalk was quite entertaining. When the show was almost finished I went straight to Coffee Bean since Pi had arrived.

We chat for about two hours at Coffee Bean. I learned that the dean of UI, UGM, ITB and some other national universities didn't know the name of a national hero whose face was printed on our one-thousand-rupiah bill. The question was asked during the famous quiz show 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?'. I also learned that hairdressers had started using computer-graphic animation programs such as Maya in making up new hairstyles. I learned also that Gi loved Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. He had with him on that night 'The Return of Sherlock Holmes', Indonesian version. He was reading it when waiting for me and Pi to arrive. That the character Sherlock Holmes died in 'The Memoir of Sherlock Holmes' and that because of protests from fan, Sir Arthur revived him in 'The Return'. I have the compilation book at home. I think that's going to be the next book I'll be reading.

I also learned that Gi was quite bitter with the condition of the academic world in Indonesia. We discussed the inadequate teachers and lecturers, the inadequate pay for teachers and lecturers, the lack of interest from people in general in the academic world and profession, the lack of interest from the teachers and lecturers themselves in the academic world, and many other vices in the academic world. Gi opined that teachers and lecturers should dedicate themselves in the academic world, do more writings and book publishings. An idealistic idea. A thing that I would like to agree to, but couldn't, since it is a bit unrealistic. Teachers and lecturers gotta live too, and the money pouring into the academic world is a bit lacking (or at least, the amount that found itself into the teachers' and lecturers' hands). Forced to earn more money lest they wouldn't have enough to live, teachers and lecturers found themselves earning more money from other fields of work. Attentions and efforts were diverted from the academic profession. Quality dropped. If you really look at it, it's like the devil's circle. One thing cause another to happen. And that other thing contributed to the earlier.

Of course I didn't voice my opinion. Gi, at the time, didn't seem to want to be contradicted. And I was in no mood for a debate. No good would come out of it. Listening to him was enough. I learned a lot of new things from him.

During our stay at Coffee Bean I called H up. Pi said that she tried calling him earlier, but couldn't. He didn't come to the office that day, and she didn't know why. H picked up my phone, and I asked why he didn't come along with us. Turned out that his car was being repaired. Something wrong in the engine. He also asked me to stay over at Pi's place since P would be staying the night there too and there was no one else in the house. Pi's family went out to Puncak. H wasn't comfortable with the idea of his girlfriend staying over at her friend's house without no one to look over them in case anything happens. So I said yes. And I thought it would a great idea staying over with two gorgeous girls to accompany me.

It was 9.30 in the evening when we left TA and picked up P from her house. After that we went to Pi's house. After arriving and some preparation, Gi started cutting P's hair first. While waiting I played with Pi's dogs. She had three dogs. One of 'em was so spoiled and friendly. I didn't know what kind of dog that one was. All I know was that it had long fur and cute. The other two were dalmations. I knew that for sure since they have spots ha ha ha. When P was done and it was Pi's turn, P asked me to go watch DVD with her. So we went up to Pi's room. Pi had a very comfortable bedroom. Full of photos, pictures, drawings (Pi likes to draw). It had a low ceiling, three mattresses, a TV and a JVC stereo set with a 5-disc DVD player and a subwoofer. It was kinda hard to describe how comfortable it was. All I knew is that I felt right at home in no time.

P and I watched 'About a Boy'. A very interesting movie. No man's an island indeed. But I was pretty sure Jon Bon Jovi didn't say that ha ha ha. After that we watched 'You've Got Mail'. I really loved that movie. When I first watched that movie, I swore that one day I would open up a book store. Watching that movie again reminded me of that promise I made. Even though I wasn't as sure as the first time, I still think that I'd give a shot one day. Everything in that movie was so beautiful I wished that they were real. Everything in that movie made me want to un-learn all the things that I've learned, all the disappointment, all the bitterness. I just want to be able to see the world through a pair of innocent eyes, the way we all used to when we were still young.

When the clock stroke midnight I called home. I told my mom that I was staying over at a friend's house. I asked her to call my brother and let him speak to me. She did, and when my brother was on the other end I said happy birthday bro, so you'll be staying in the apartment tomorrow, huh? Yeah. Having some of 'em plant layout assignments huh? Yeah, lots of 'em. I need to get them done. When will you be back home? Probably Tuesday. Tuesday? That's cool. Okay, gimme Mom again will ya? Sure.

P and Pi slept in Pi's parents' room. Before going to sleep, Pi asked me to tell Gi to come up and sleep in her room with me when I'm done watching. She also asked me to take Mu, her furry dog upstairs to sleep in her room. So, I went to sleep in Pi's room with unforgettable memories of 'You've Got Mail' and a furry dog next to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home