Just Passing By...

Well, I'm just passing by...

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Frank McCourt's ''Tis'

I have finished reading ''Tis', a memoir/autobiography written by Frank McCourt, an Irish-American. His previous memoir, 'Angela's Ashes', won a Pulitzer. 'Tis was a continuation of Angela's Ashes.

In Angela's Ashes, we saw the world through young Frank's eyes. Being an Irish living in the town of Limerick in Ireland meant that one had to deal with poverty, bad wheather (bad enough to kill you), death in the family due to very, very poor living conditions, the often fanatic fervour for the Catholic religion, and above all, the misery of life due to all these things. In this sequel, the story picks up where Angela's Ashes left off, that is when Frank arrived back in New York, America. What makes 'Tis different from Angela's is that this time around Frank's a more mature person. The magically innocent point of view of Frank as a child dissipates as the story continues in 'Tis. But that doesn't mean that the story in 'Tis not as good as the one found in Angela's.

Frank McCourt has a very distinct and unique writing style. For example, instead of writing in the past tense he uses the present tense. He writes in long sentences. It's hard to describe it in details. But all I know is that it's so easy to read that I could finish the 400-plus-page book in only 3 days.

But of course the writing style is not the only thing that makes a book a very good one. What matters is the story. In Angela's Ashes, I found myself in the brink of tears and laughter at the same time. This is due to Frank's a bit dark sense of humour and the desperate situations he described in his story. The situations, if seen from an adult point-of-view, could bring a sense of desperation. But since McCourt successfully delivered the story from the innocent point of view of a child, sprinkled with some sense of humour, sadness and happiness don't seem to contradict each other anymore.

In 'Tis, I see a maturing Frank and his struggle of trying to find a living in New York. His effort in finding some money to send back to his mother and brothers back in Limerick, Ireland. His effort of trying to settle down. Though not as innocent as he was in Angela's, but still his brilliance shines in all parts of the story. He still has his dark sense of humour, he still has his unique style of writing and storytelling. And the story is still brilliant. And above all, his humanity is still there.

Personally, I see myself in Frank McCourt. The way he views religion, his aspirations to be a teacher, his search for someone who could substitute his drunken father, the miserable luck of both our mothers, his lost childhood, and the misery and happiness of our lives. I'm touched by his humanity. By his struggle that's going out in his heart. His disappointment in his father. His regrets. Yes, I sort of see myself in him. His life isn't perfect, and neither is mine. He's been through a lot, and he came out all right. Not perfect, but alright.

Reading the book has been like a personal journey. And I came away dazed, with my heart touched. So, to Mr. McCourt, I raised my hat in praise not only for your successful books, but also in your humanity. And I raise you this pint of fine Irish beer in salute. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home