Just Passing By...

Well, I'm just passing by...

Sunday, October 10, 2004

An Ode to Women

She calls me on a Friday afternoon, asks me to come and meet her and my friend at a coffee shop downtown. She doesn't ask how I am doing, eventhough it has been quite some time since I last saw her. But it doesn't matter. She just saved me from a very boring Friday night. I thank her so very much for that.

I arrive at the coffee shop in the late Friday afternoon. The crowd is light, and the atmosphere is laid back. As I walk in, I catch her tall, slim figure in the corner of my eye. Distracted, I walk to the counter.

She is at the counter. She asks me what I would like to order. She is quite slender, dark-skinned, with large eyes, an oval face and medium long hair tied in a bun. She is wearing a black t-shirt, a pair of black pants and a green apron.I look her in the eyes and tell her what I would like to have. I pay for the order and she asks whether I would like to have something to eat. Again, I look at her in the eys, smile, and say no thank you. I could see a smile forming in the corner of her mouth, shyly.

I sit at the sofa seat next to the windows, near the entrance. The setting sun warms my face. The chatter of light conversations fill the air. A soft music is playing in the background. It is perfect.

She is sitting at the corner table. Her slender figure looks relaxed on the sofa. Her long, dark-brown hair is pulled back and tied at the back. Her skin is of a light tone. Her face is oval, her eyelashes long, her eyes round and her smile wide. Her make up is just right. She is wearing a white t-shirt, a blue cotton vest and a pair of jeans. On her hands is a paperback. She seems immersed in it. At some point she notices that I am looking. She doesn't seem to mind. It's good enough for me. I know she notices me too.
I wonder why she is sitting there all alone. Is there a man in her life. What kind of book is she reading. Is she as intelligent as her gestures indicate her to be. A beauty who reads book is a rare thing. One in a while I catch her glancing at me. She has strong, brave eyes.

She arrives later. As I suspected. My friend is blocking the sun, that is how I know they're here. He stares at me and when I realize it he smiles. He is outside the window and signals that he'll be out there in the smoking section with her to talk to a client. I'll be waiting, I signalled.
I catch glimpses of her through the patterns adorning the window. Her eyes are wide and she is wearing eyeshadow, as always. She always puts on heavy make up. Her hair is short and brown. Her lipstick red and her lips are full. She is wearing a light-brown vest and a dark-brown, knee-length skirt. She looks exclusive. The client and his male friends got their eyes on her. She is the kind of girl that could turn heads. I could only smile.

The sun is setting. The warmth is almost gone.

She caught my attention. She is with one of the client's friends. She is wearing a red sweater and a pair of jeans. She has a very nice smile. An innocent kind of smile and an innocent, eager pair of eyes. She doesn't put on a make up. Natural. Her hair is shoulder length. I catch her glancing at me through the window when my friend walks in and greets me. As always, it is good enough for me.

She arrives later in her yellow uniform and a pair of light-brown pants. She tells us the story of how she got there on the back of a motorcycle. The road is indeed dangerous. She is talkative. Her round face is full of bright expression and very lively. Together, I, the women and my friend enjoy the Friday evening.

Women, you are a lovely creature. But I am not to have you. At least for now. You have all made my Friday. Thank you. This is my ode to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home